Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Stepped on a Stick

Last Saturday, Max and I headed up for an overnight in the mountains of northern Georgia. We stayed at a lovely place which we are considering as a venue for our wedding. We stayed there about 2 1/2 years ago for one of our first out-of-town adventures. While Max slept, I stayed awake that night and had the realization that I wanted to marry him. I took out the hotel stationery and made rough plans for a wedding there. We're not 100% sure we're going to get married there, but I at least wanted to go back to see if I still liked it.
After we met with the events coordinator, we went hiking at Black Rock Mountain State Park. We like hiking. We do it about once every six weeks. We had hiked uphill about three tenths of a mile when I stepped on a stick. The stick rolled one way while I continued in the other direction. Needless to say, our hike was over. Having to hike back down that mountain (at least it was only 3/10 of a mile) was one of the most physically demanding things I've ever done. What had taken us about ten minutes to ascend took nearly an hour to descend. I could only walk a couple of steps at a time.
The good news is that I didn't break anything, which we confirmed after several hours in an ER in a really tiny town. We came home with me in an aircast and using a pair of crutches. Every step hurt like I was being stabbed. I went to an orthopaedist on Tuesday and am diagnosed with a really bad sprain. They moved me into one of those big boots. I'm supposed to wear it for 3 weeks and go back to the doctor. If things aren't going well, I'll be in for another 3 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed. I already feel a ton better, but it is still pretty tender after nearly a week!
I just wish that school wasn't starting. I'm having to get my room ready while wearing my boot. Each year, we basically have to pack everything into boxes in case the adminstration decides to move our classrooms over the summer. Mine didn't change, but I still have to unpack all the boxes. It's a lot of physical labor, but I've been able to get a lot done. I just have to rest a lot more than I usually would.
My goal is to be out of the boot before we attend a wedding during Labor Day weekend. That will be 3 1/2 weeks, so I'm really hoping I don't have to wear it with a formal dress!
I hope you've all had a great week! I'll be waying in on Saturday instead of Friday, so I'll check back in then!

No comments: